Monday, June 14, 2010

En Kadhale

Pallavi:

En kadhale en kadhale

my love, my love
ennai enna seyya pogirai
what are you going to do to me
naan oviyam endru therinthum nee
even knowing that i am an artist
yen kannirandai ketkirai
 why are you asking for both my eyes

siluvaigal siragukal
statues or wings
rendil enna thara pogirai
which of the two are you going to give me
killuvadhai killi vittu
after doing all you've done
yen thalli nindru parkirai
why are you standing and watching me from afar?

Charanam 1

Kadhaley... nee poo erindhal
my love, if you throw a flower
endha malaiyum konjam kuzhayum
even a mountain tremors
kadhaley nee kal erindhal
my love, if you throw a stone
endha kadalum konjam kalangum
even an ocean will weep a little
 ini meelvadha illai veezhvada
am i to rise up or fall down
uyir vaazhvadha illai povadha
should i live this life or leave it
amudenpadha visha-menpadha
is this the holy nectar or poison?
unnai amudha-vishamen-padha
or is it your holy poison

Charanam 2

kadhale un kaaladiyil
my love at your feet
naan vizhundhu vizhundhu thozudhen
i will fall and touch them
kangalai nee moodi kondal
if you close your eyes
naan kulungi kulungi azudhen
i'll sob and sob uncontrollably
idhu maatrama thadu-maatrama
is this change or an obstacle
en nenjile pani mootama
will this make my heart water
nee thoziya illai edhiriya
are you a friend or enemy
endru dhinamum porattama
to always battle me like this

21 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks so much for the translation! The song means so much more to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this quality translation

    ReplyDelete
  3. But u missed "Ini melvadha illai veezhvadha"...I couldn't get it!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I rise up (stand up with the pain) or fall down

      Delete
    2. Should I surmount or fall(collapse)

      Delete
  4. "Ini melvadha illai veezhvadha" roughly says would i rise up or fall down, guess other poets will put it in a more romantic way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u have made wrong translation for few lines....'kaadhale ne poo verindhaal, yendhan malaiyum konjam kuzhaiyum - love, if u throw flowers, even the mountain loses its stability. 'kaadhale ne kal yerindhaal, yendhan kadalum konjam kalangum- love, if throw a stone, even the ocean will let some tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks hema! sorry, this is one of the first ones i ever did when I was like 14 or 15 several years ago, just as practice, I never imagined people would actually read them! thanks so much for correcting me, I actually really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Siluvaikal sirukukal means... are u gonna gimme the cross( used for crucification) or wings....
    - Charulatha Krishnamurthy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive translation... love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully described, even though i don't have Tamil sense but now i can make it after reading this ..!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ... Thank you so much .. amazing amazing lyrics.. thank you for translating.. love from kerala

    ReplyDelete
  11. This song i can listen too everyday done by the late Legend what an epic memory.

    ReplyDelete